SearchYourCloud Survey Reveals it Takes 8 Attempts to Find an Accurate Search Result
Only one in five searches is right the first time for both US and UK
San Francisco, CA November 5, 2013 – SearchYourCloud announces findings from a recent search survey conducted in both the UK and US. The survey showed that a third of respondents spend between five and twenty-five minutes searching every time they want to find a document, while only one in five searches is correct the first time. The search for corporate information is eating into workplace productivity, according to the latest research from SearchYourCloud. Moreover, despite the mobile revolution and access to content via multiple devices, search remains a complex and time consuming exercise which wastes valuable time.
The research, conducted in both the UK and the US, found that on average, workers in both markets spent up to 25 minutes looking for a single document in over a third of searches conducted. The responses were similar in the UK and US except those reflecting differing attitudes on BYOD and mobile security between the markets. Furthermore, in 80% of cases it took up to eight attempts to find the right information. Only 20 percent of respondents reported first time successful searches.
Key findings from the survey include:
- It takes workers up to eight searches to find the right document and information, according to 80% of respondents.
- When the response are broken down still further, 67.52% of searches take at least three attempts
- Just over 30% of searches conducted take up to 25 minutes per document.
- 58% of the entire sample responded that they could not search for work related information on their smart device, a figure that rises to 63% in the UK and falls to 48% in the US
- When asked if this inability reflected a threat to IT security, just over 50% said that it did.
- Despite restrictions on remote smart device access to the corporate network, 56% of the entire sample spent up to 20% of the work week away from the desktop!
- Of those working remotely, 46 percent needed access to the corporate network almost continually throughout the day.
Simon Bain, SearchYourCloud CEO
“I’m sure we’ve all been there. You search the desktop, then open up a word processor app still not finding a document. You then search for the template to use or the, or the file open button. All second nature, but what happens when we can’t find the document? It is the same human emotion as if we had lost set of keys. But there is a difference – search apps on the desktop or mobile device do not remember where you last had that file and this is adding to lost productivity within the workplace.
This survey shows that what is needed is a transformative secure search application that not only speeds up the search process itself, but one that dramatically improves accuracy. The benefit for users is clear: accurate information at one’s fingertips as and when needed either at the desktop, or as is increasingly the case, via smart devices while on the move in a secure and safe environment.”
SearchYourCloud is resolutely focused on developing innovative and ground-breaking technology. Our software can be embedded, integrated and implemented by third parties such as carriers/mobile operators, systems integrators and software providers. We also partner with companies which have in-house IT development/integration expertise that wish to utilize our technology to solve current technical and/or business challenges. The SearchYourCloud technology can be used as a front-end access method for existing private or public cloud services, or as the backbone to deliver new services. In either capacity it delivers a new information access paradigm that promises to revolutionize the way in which users access their critical data in the cloud. For more information visit www.searchyourcloud.com/.
Vantage PR for SearchYourCloud
973 386 5949